Monday, September 11, 2006

And ONE More Thing

I forget what thread this was on, but a really cool dude by the name of "ultraman" aka Nathan aka Homiebear, said this....

"boxes" are always assumptions. How can you think outside of this box if you insist on saying that is is foundational?-ultraman



I loved this. It has been an ecouragement to me lately. Because of some things going on in my life I have had to once again rip outside another box. I've had to make myself think outside of it. I've learned in the last several years I have to always push myself to think outside of what is called "foundational", because as soon as I say something or a beief I have is "foundational" I find out it wasn't, it was just another box I tried to define God in. If anything this past year has taught and in my silence of not blogging as much is that God is always calling us outside the box and its up to us decided if we are going to tear out of the box or just stay nice and warm inside the one we've always known.

5 comments:

Don't I Know You? said...

Jewels,

totally unrelated. what happened to sodacoaster?

her blog's been removed for a week or so. i hope she is ok.

come to think of it, i'm glad to see you are blogging a bit again!

Jemila Kwon said...

I love the quote, and your comments about the things we quest to make foundational, only to discover they aren't all they're cracked up to be...and may in fact be cracked!

I remember at my college orientation one of the discussion questions was, "Do you trust God enough to let go of God?" Meaning we'd have our beliefs and faiths twisted and turned and poked through, and many of our little god-in-a-boxes threatened with death, and were we willing to take the risk in search of the God who IS, the God we cannot contain or package. Unfortunately, after graduating,I think most of my classmates returned to their more-or-less insular churches and resurrected at least some of their god-in-a-boxes. Uncertainty as a hard position of faith to sustain in the face of community pressure to settle the point and calcify the collective viewpoint. My question is, "How to hold onto the truth of my own unknowing without becoming alienated from Christian community?

Don't I Know You? said...

Jewels,

Big Hug

Anonymous said...

I actually had to LET GO of wanting Christianity to be the right answer in order to be able to embrace it honestly. That is what I remember about my first year, roughly, of college.

It was a blessing, in fact.

Take care, Jewels. We love you.

Don't I Know You? said...

say...miss your posts. hope all is well.

a fan